Imagine ordering a burger and being immediately asked by the waiter, if you’d like some fries with it.
That’s order bump in the real world.
Order bumps enhance the customer experience in the offline and the online world.
So the question is not whether you should pitch a bump or not, but what should your offer be and how can you write a persuasive copy to sell it.
In this post, we’ll cover everything in detail. Let’s dive right in.
- What are Order Bumps in WooCommerce exactly?
- Order Bumps are everywhere…
- 2 Real Reasons Why Order Bumps Are So Slick
- How To Write High-Converting Order Bump Copy (The 4G Formula)
- Order Bump Examples
- 5 Easy Order Bump Ideas To Get a Kickstart
- How To Set Up WooCommerce Order Bumps with WooFunnels
- The Truth About Creating Persuasive Order Bumps
What are Order Bumps in WooCommerce exactly?
Order Bump is a complementary item pitched on the checkout page that the user can add to their order with a single tick on the checkbox.
See how a typical Order Bump looks on a two-step WooCommerce Checkout page.
Many business owners prefer to cross-sell items on the product page but that’s not a great strategy.
Simply because people aren’t sure of what they want to buy. They haven’t made up their mind yet.
So yet another pitch can be distracting.
Let them first select the right burger then show the fries or offer a deal on the two.
The best place to cross-sell hence, is on the checkout page. Simply because:
- The customer has mentally purchased the item
- They’re most attentive here
- You know exactly what they’re buying
Order Bumps are everywhere…
McDonalds uses order bump, Starbucks does, Subway and many other big retailers you shop from do!
Order bumps are quite successful in the offline world and they increase the average order value of a business by 20-30%.
And our success stories tell us they’re quite a hit in the online world too!
Watch this video to get some ideas on what to cross-sell as an order bump:
Let’s look at the two main reasons why they convert.
2 Real Reasons Why Order Bumps Are So Slick
There are two main reasons why order bumps are so effective in increasing your average order value.
Reason #1: Psychology of commitment and consistency
As humans we like to be consistent with our choices. So if we’ve taken decision then we like to use it as a reference point to make related choices.
Let me give you an example here:
So let’s say you bought tickets to an event on:
“How to speak more confidently in public”
Won’t you love audio recordings of the event so that you can tune in whenever you want?
For most people who attended the event, this would be a no-brainer. So the question is – are you squeezing the most out of every sale?
Reason #2: Low-dollar offers make for perfect impulse buys
Impulse buy is a brilliant phenomena that eCommerce store owners can make the most of.
How many times do you think before adding chocolates and gum to your cart in the grocery store?
The decision is fairly spontaneous and doesn’t require you to consult anyone.
That’s why low-dollar order bumps are easiest to sell.
Now let’s look at how can you distinguish between order bump and one-click upsell.
Order Bump v/s One Click Upsell: How To Decide What Your Offer Is
Not sure whether your offer should be an order bump or a one-click upsell?
Worry not, this section will help you make that distinction.
A one-click upsell is a post-purchase upsell offer. After a user has made the main purchase, their card gets tokenized and they can accept the upsell offer(s) with a single click.
Order bump on the other hand is a pre-checkout offer. It happens before the payment for the main purchase has been deducted.
To decide whether your offer is a one-click upsell or an order bump, follow this golden rule:
If you can explain bump offer in just about 4-5 lines then it’s an order bump but if you need a dedicated page to explain the details of the offer then it’s a one-click upsell.
How To Write High-Converting Order Bump Copy
(The 4G Formula)
The simple formula for writing the order bump copy is our 4G formula. You can use it to write an order bump copy in literally a few minutes.
Here’s the copy we wrote for a client who recorded a 43% conversion rate on the bump:
Here are the four components of it:
#1: Grab attention
The best way to grab the attention of your prospects is to place the order bump at the right position.
We highly recommend you place it above the big and bold CTA button because that’s where people are most attentive.
#2: Get a nod
You can do this by asking a rhetoric question. Involve them into your conversation.
Don’t just share a bunch of facts.
For example here we say:
“What could be better than learning from other people’s mistakes?”
#3: Give desirable details
Since you don’t have the option to insert a video here – neither can you insert multiple images – make words your arsenal.
Highlight details about the offer/product that make it desirable.
For example, here we say-
“Watch me over-the-shoulder as I critique and improve…”
#4: Get Action
The most powerful way to get action is tell your prospects about the exclusivity of the offer.
Let them know that the discount you are offering here is not available elsewhere on the site.
Order Bump Examples
Let’s discuss a few order bump examples that you can use.
Example#1: A video masterclass
Here’s an example from Robin Sharma. He’s pitching an exclusive access to video recordings of a 2-day live masterclass.
Take a look:
Example#2: Free Trial Offer to a membership site
This order bump is our absolute favourite.
It’s from our client, Wardee from Traditional Cooking School.
Here she pitches a free trial offer to her membership site.
5 Easy Order Bump Ideas To Get a Kickstart
Here are a few interesting ideas for you:
- Complementary products – Items that complement the main purchase. For example – cleaning kit with a bottle or with leather shoes.
- Subscription-based products – Those that need a monthly/bi-monthly or weekly renewal. For example a pack of supplements, household supply, ointments etc. are products of regular use.
- Extended Warranty – makes a great order bump. People have an inherent need to protect their purchase and a warranty helps them achieve that goal. Expedited shipping is a no-brainer order bump. No matter what you sell, you can use faster shipping as a way to make your shoppers shell out a few dollars extra. But make sure you deliver fast as promised.4. Limited edition products- Tell your prospects that the supplies are limited or you’ve only got a 100 of those to sell. Exclusivity is a money-attractive magnet.
5. Masterclass / ebook – If your audience likes to learn through digital products or courses, go ahead and offer more help through a pre-recorded masterclass or audio book.
How To Set Up WooCommerce Order Bumps with WooFunnels
Here are 4 simple steps to set up order bump on the checkout page:
- Set up rules i.e. a set of conditions which when met, the order bump will be shown on the checkout page
- Select the product to upsell as an order bump
- Configure the order bump element and style it
- Set the priority of the order bump`
The Truth About Creating Persuasive Order Bumps
Order bumps can help increase your average order value and get better returns on ad spends.
But creating an enticing offer is important.
Start with a low-dollar, no-brainer offer. Pitch it using the 4G formula.
Explore more about WooCommerce Order Bump here.
Free Gift: Checkout Conversion Secrets
Checkout page is where cash changes hands. Ignore it at your own risk! Download secrets of high-converting checkouts now.